September 17, 2011

Slow Cooker Pulled Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches


I have another Gameday recipe for you, and you should make it immediately. My husband is a buffalo wing connoisseur and these recieved his stamp of approval. My initial plan was to make these into sliders, but after not being able to find slider buns at 2 different stores I gave up since this would easily work with sandwiches. Where do you buy slider buns anyway?

Since these are made in the slow cooker they are so easy to make,  just throw a few ingredients in the slow cooker and have a finished product 8 hours later. One word of advice I have is do not make these when you'll be home all day. I work from home on Friday's and it was torture smelling the buffalo chicken all day long and having to wait until dinner to gobble it up.

I tried not to make them too spicy since my husband can't handle the heat like I can, he's more of a mild wings type of guy. These still came out spicy, just not too spicy, but please adjust the sauce ingredients to fit your tastes. The blue cheese dip to spread on the sandwiches helped balance out the spice nicely. Since I wanted to mix both light and dark meat this recipe makes way too much chicken for just the two of us, but it would be good for a crowd and I'm excited to find uses for it in other dishes.



Ingredients
For the Chicken Sandwiches
1 package (approx 1.5 lbs) of skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 package (approx 1.5 lbs) of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3/4 cup Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
5 garlic cloves, minced
Buns (slider or regular)
Blue Cheese Sauce (recipe below)

For the Blue Cheese Sauce
Adjust quantities based on how strong you would like the blue cheese flavor and how much dip you want to make, I made extra for cut up carrots and celery.
4 oz crumbled blue cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 green onions, chopped
Carrots & Celery, optional for dipping

Directions
Stir together buffalo wing sauce, barbecue sauce, chicken broth, and garlic until well combined. Add chicken to slow cooker, pouring sauce on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Before chicken is done cooking, stir together blue cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, and green onions.   If not serving immediately, refrigerate until  ready to eat.

Once chicken is cooked, shred it up, it should fall apart very easily. I use my potato masher, it works really well and I don't have to take the chicken out of the slow cooker. Just be careful not to scratch up your slow cooker.

Once chicken is shredded place shredded chicken on bun and spread blue cheese sauce on top side of bun. Enjoy! Just writing this post up made me want a sandwich for breakfast, good idea, right? Alright, I'll have my oatmeal instead.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...