September 13, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie


This peanut butter banana smoothie is one of my favorite breakfasts. It's easy, filling, and tasty, a perfect way to start your day! It is also works well as a post workout smoothie, since it provides you with protein, fiber, and potassium.

I add ground flaxseed to this smoothie, which you could leave out if you don't have any on hand, but I recommend buying some. Flaxseed has great health benefits (click here to see more specifics) and is very versatile. You can throw a tablespoon into hot or cold cereal, mix it in some mustard before putting it on your sandwich, use it when baking, or add it to your smoothie like I did here.

The smoothie tastes better with bananas that are a little brown and ripe and you should definitely adjust the quantities to suit your tastes and preference on how thick you like your smoothie.

Ingredients
1 frozen banana (doesn't have to be frozen, but I prefer it that way)
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (can use flaxseed oil if you like a thinner consistency)
Ice (optional)

Directions
Place all of the ingredients up until ice in a blender and combine. If you would like a thicker consistency add a few ice cubes, if you are looking for a thinner consistency add a little more milk or water.

5 comments:

  1. I make this smoothie nearly every morning but with almond milk and frozen berries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good! Cleaning the blender is what keeps me from having one every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. peanut butter is good with everything! I think... This looks good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, peanut butter is good with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I have a trick to clean the blender - ie Sam's lazy version of cleaning. Right after you're done put hot hot water into the blender and a bit of soap. Then blend. All the soapy water cleans it pretty well and then every other time I actually clean it by hand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...