September 1, 2011

Apricot Bourbon Barbecue Chicken


When I saw Ree post this Peach Whiskey Barbecue Chicken it inspired me to break out my jar of Spicy Apricot Bourbon Barbecue Sauce that I had purchased a couple of weeks ago. I know, I've been using a lot of pre-made sauces and marinades lately. They're a great dinner shortcut after a long day of work and trip to the gym, so cut me a break.

Overall the sauce and the recipe were really good, but it definitely was not spicy at all. If you like spice like I do, throw in some chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I served it with spinach mashed potatoes and a variation of this corn and tomato scramble, it ended up being an unexpected weeknight feast. Keep reading for my version of this recipe.

Ingredients
1 package bone in chicken thighs (5 thighs total)
1-1/2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1- 1/2 cups bourbon
1 jar or 12 oz Spicy Apricot Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo (optional)
4 cloves garlic, minced

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Heat butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a heavy, oven proof pot that has a lid (I used my Le Crueset dutch oven). Once melted add chicken and brown on both sides, approximately 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Empty out some of the grease and then saute onions for about 5 minutes. Pour in bourbon, stirring onions around, and cook for about 3 minutes. Add Apricot Bourbon Barbecue sauce, Worcestshire, chipotle peppers, and garlic. Stir to combine, add chicken to the pot, cover with lid, and put the pot in the oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, remove from oven and serve.


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! totally mouth watering, but I could just be really hungry :)
    I will have to try it out! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was pretty darn good! If you like spice I would definitely add the chipotle peppers, otherwise it's really good without them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...